Businesses across the world are becoming digitized and this is aimed at making them mobile friendly and global. The rapid expansion of a business puts it in on the global arena. To meet it’s needs, a business has to go digital. Nowadays, employees opt for real time collaboration on a higher level while working in a team across multiple locations by using the latest technologies.
Companies are on a hiring spree and young turks are joining the workforce from across the globe. New employees are much younger and they are comfortable working with a variety of technological tools. Adoption of latest communication tools is the only way to offer greater freedom to the younger workforce so that they can manage their job from anywhere and at any point in time.
Companies are fast adapting to the changes and as such are offering their workforce many personal devices like tablets and smartphones. Organizations are investing on the technologies and devices that can increase their productivity like videoconferencing and voice activation. The biggest attraction for the companies is that they are able to make huge savings by offering mobility programs at offices.
However, there are a few challenges that businesses have to face while designing the digital workplace that caters to the future needs of the company. Organizations tend to invest on productivity technology, and not enough is done to integrate them with existing business process. Lack of proper IT infrastructure and security are some of the challenges that businesses have to encounter while designing the digital workplace.
There are 5 important elements that every business needs to consider in order to make optimum use of the new technologies for their employees.
- Endpoint devices – Organizations should consider extending maximum flexibility when it comes to accessing business applications. They need to give preference to the tablets and smartphones so that the younger generation is comfortable working with the devices they frequently use for personal communications. The company policies should be flexible enough to incorporate any suggestions pertaining to the use of devices to access business applications.
- Infrastructure – It is imperative that the companies emphasize on the communication infrastructure of their companies. They should ensure that the corporate network is ready to back the collaboration applications, communication technologies, and business process without any glitches. The network should be adequately armed to handle video, data, and voice communication.
- Business Applications – Employees should be able to get access to business application, irrespective of their time and location. This will help in increasing productivity and facilitate better collaboration among partners, customers and employees. These applications help in cohesive working of the virtual team while interacting effectively and providing them with all the needed vital information. It has been seen that knowledge management as well as collaboration platforms are critical. They allow the central storage of documents and easy access to all the team members collaborating on the viewing, editing and sharing of data on a real time basis.
- Efficient Telecommunication Tools – It is really important to implement telecommunication tools that facilitate easy communication. This will help to boost the employees’ morale and enhance their productivity and performance.
- Digital Security – Data security is a major area of concern for most of the companies that are using cloud computing, mobile computing and, social media technologies. There are specific solutions that have been designed to handle the security.
In order to create a digital workplace, a company has to face a lot of challenges so that the companies can experience higher productivity through new innovations, better collaboration and even satisfaction of the employee.
Michelle Patterson is excited with the new technologies that are threatening to change the way we stay in touch and communicate, particular in business. She works with companies that are introducing these technologies to make understanding them easy for regular people.