Jumping into the world of ecommerce can feel like a scary process, and it’s a decision that shouldn’t be taken lightly. If you are considering to take the plunge but aren’t too sure what products to sell, then here are a couple of ideas to get you started. Selling online needn’t be a difficult venture. To be successful you need to seek out the products that are popular yet not too competitive.
Here we have 7 amazingly simple product ideas to get your business up and running. These items are popular and profitable and already sell very well online.
Why Sell Online?
Selling online can be a good source of income and is a great way to get started with your own company. The internet has opened up a sea of opportunity and many are getting stuck in. So why should you start selling online?
- It’s a good source of income
- You can be your own boss and work for yourself, from the comfort of your own home
- With so many other companies selling online, it may not seem like there are any good ideas left – but believe it or not, there are lots of new ideas to be tapped into online
- You can reach a wide audience easily because you are online
- Lower startup costs. Your online platform will enable you to maintain lower expenditure than when compared with opening a physical store front.
- There is less risk involved because startup costs are lower than opening your own physical shop front. If things weren’t to work out the way you’d hoped, you wouldn’t lose a huge chunk of money
For Tea Lovers: Tea and Green Tea
Tea is one of the highest selling products online, so it’s a good place to start. Tea is worth looking into because there are so many different kinds of herbal tea, meaning you can get specific in the niche you target. Try to target those looking for herbal and healthy tea like green teas or chamomile as a start to target a smaller audience.
Why sell tea?
- Easy to transport, sell and brand
- Low cost and high return
- Can target a specific niche
Why is tea so popular? It’s the only beverage that is enjoyed both hot and cold and is consumed all across the world. It is appreciated anywhere and at any time, so it’s no wonder there is a high demand for tea in the ecommerce market.
For the Health Freaks: Matcha
Macha is another popular product online. It’s a type of green tea that has been grown in the shade then mashed down to form a powder. It’s a relatively low-cost product with high demands, so you could potentially make a lot of profit. You can populate your website with ‘how to’ videos showcasing how to use matcha in recipes. This can spark interest in your brand and create linkable content naturally.
- Why sell matcha tea?
- It’s very popular, particularly on social media
- Low cost to purchase
- Small and easy to deliver
Why is matcha so popular? Matcha is taking the world by storm because of its calming qualities and antioxidants. It is claimed that matcha calms and relaxes the mind and enhances concentration.
For Beauty Buffs: Coconut Oil
Coconut oil and coconut-based products are dominating the stage of ecommerce, and for good reason. It’s no secret that coconut oil has many different uses and can be used for nearly anything and everything. Thanks to the likes of social media, especially Pinterest, consumer interest in coconut oil has been steadily growing since 2011 and will likely continue growing for the foreseeable future.
Coconut oil has a wide customer interest so you can tailor selling to a specific niche, like ‘for hair’ or ‘for men’. Find a gap in the market with low competition and high returns, and you could make a huge profit.
- Why sell coconut oil?
- Versatile – can be promoted in any way
- You can target a niche audience
- Easy to distribute and brand
Why is coconut oil so popular? Coconut oil is a healthy, all-in-one oil which is multi-purpose. It can be used for an abundance of things like moisturizing hair, taking makeup off, moisturizing skin, cooking and even brushing your teeth. The possibilities are endless.
For Music Enthusiasts
What better product to start selling online than compact Bluetooth speakers? Thanks to big music companies like Beats by Dre, portable Bluetooth speakers have become a staple for many people. Being able to listen to music on-the-go makes these products popular and sought after. Interest in these items tends to spike during the holiday season, but sales remain steady throughout the year.
- Why sell Bluetooth speakers?
- Easy to distribute
- High returns
Why are Bluetooth speakers so popular? They are easy to use, extremely portable and they solve dealing with pesky wires. They can be taken anywhere and fit easily into a handbag, rucksack and or pocket (depending on its size). Improvements in Bluetooth technology mean that these speakers can offer a high quality musical experience while at home or out and about, which is the main reason they became so popular.
For Hipsters: Beard Oil
With the increasing number of male celebs rocking impressive beards (I’m thinking Ryan Gosling from The Notebook and Johnny Depp to name a few), it’s no surprise that the number of bearded men is tripling across the Western world. The fascination with big lustrous beards has spiked in recent years and as a result, beard oil has now become a thing!
- Why sell beard oil?
- High online interest
- High returns
- Less competition and very niche product
Why is beard oil so popular? With beards back in fashion, consumers are desperate to get their hands on beard grooming essentials. Beard oil, beard conditioner and accessories like beard combs are all good products to sell. This is a cosmetic marvel that you should definitely get involved with.
For Eco-Friendly Beauty Lovers: Coffee Scrubs
Again, thanks to the influence of Instagram and Pinterest, the next hot item customers are looking to buy is coffee scrubs. The ‘healthy lifestyle’ image is prominent online and many people are giving it a try. Coffee scrub is a no-waste product because it is made using leftover coffee grounds to exfoliate skin.
- Why sell coffee scrub?
- Low cost and a no-waste product
- Highly advertised on social media accounts
- Very popular product
- Easy to distribute
Why is coffee scrub so popular? Coffee scrub is a great natural exfoliant that is popular amongst beauty buffs and within the healthy lifestyle market. Highlight this in your branding and orders will be flying out the door.
For Geeks: Personalized Phone Covers
Personalized phone covers are great products to sell online. They are low cost and there is a high demand for them. Offer simple designs, maybe for corporate and branding purposes to maximize sales. You can even offer the service in bulk. Embrace versatility by offering a variety of sizes, styles and phone types to cover a wide range of customers. Make sure you’re specific about what you can and cannot put onto the cases before you advertise your services.
Why sell personalized phone covers?
- Low cost
- Small and easy to distribute
- High returns
Why are personalized phone covers so popular? Personalized phone cases are always a fun novelty product to sell because there will be a lot of interest and your audience is pretty niche. Targeting all kinds of different phones and brands will ensure orders continuously grow.
Top Tips for Selling Online
1. Make sure that the products you sell are niche. This means low competition and high rewards
2. Use platforms like Shopify to open your online store. This way you can build a functional ecommerce site quickly and easily. Research ecommerce platforms to find the one that suits you best.
3. Market your brand and website using multiple channels. Utilize social media platforms and discover creative ways of boosting visibility to get your name out there
4. Continue to stay ahead of the trends. Keep your eyes peeled for new and upcoming niche items to sell online. Use keyword tools to identify what people are looking for online and when. Some good free tools to use are Keyword Tool and Ubersuggest.
5. Master the art of great UX (user experience). You will drive sales and foster a loyal customer base. Here is how to improve user experience for your online store to get more sales.
There are a number of products that are highly successful when sold online. Do your research to find the latest and most popular items that customers are searching for online. Think of innovative ways to fill gaps in the market and you will be on your way to becoming an ecommerce pro. Keeping up with the demand for certain items will open the door to other opportunities and soon your business will prosper.
What products will you sell online? Are there any other items you think should be on this list? Let me know in the comments below.
Bio: Content Marketer & Startup Specialist, Kayleigh Alexandra
Passionate about writing for the startup and entrepreneurial audience, I have recently been part of setting up an exciting project at MicroStartups.org. We donate all our website profits to charities that help people reach their full potential. Find out more on Twitter.